The goal for the counseling program is to ensure an equitable learning environment for all students that supports and nurtures student achievement, resilience, and development.
Comprehensive school counseling services will be offered to all students throughout the school year. These services are aimed to foster the growth of social/emotional well-being, address academic concerns, and to help students get started on college and career planning.
The types of counseling offered include individual, or one-on-one counseling, small group counseling, classroom guidance lessons, and school-wide presentations. Additional resources and suggestions for referrals to outside agencies are also available through the administration, the school counselor, or the school psychologist.
The school counseling program upholds the ethical and professional standards of the American School Counselor Association (ASCA). With ASCA Mindsets and Behaviors for School Success in mind, the program uses data to help focus on academic, career, and social/emotional development for all students. The team works to build data driven decisions that directly support student success.
Counseling Referral Process
Who can refer:
- A child/student may refer themselves.
- A teacher may refer a student.
- A parent may refer his/her child.
- A staff person at the school can refer a student.
- A physician may refer a student.
Reasons for a referral
- You have concerns with your child’s attitude toward school.
- You have concerns with your child’s academic growth.
- You have concerns with your child’s relationships with peers at school.
- You have concerns with your child’s personal development.
- You have concerns with your child’s reactions to changes within the family that may be effecting his/her learning at school.
The referral forms below are for behavioral, academic, or social issues that any student is experiencing at Griffin Academy (GA) Schools and Mare Island Technology (MIT) Schools. Once completed, the referral form will be sent to the Student Intervention and Supports Department and the school counselors. They will determine where the referral should go after it is submitted.
The links follow this information